Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dissapointed in the Wife- My argument.

Well I am extremely dissapointed in the Wife of Bath. I went back to re-read the prologue with a notebook in hand. One side labeled Bad and the other side labeled Good. Sadly I found an overwhelmingly large ammount of bad things. I had originally planned on writing how she was good and a just a strong woman but I don't believe that anymore. And possibly if I had been better at reading Old English when I first read the prologue I may have had this opinion all along. Here are my reasoning and arguments:
A450: "That to offring before her sholde goon. And if there did, certeyen so wrooth was she That she was out of alle charitee."
Here the line states that she had to be first to offer her offering at church and if she wasn't she would not give anything at all because she would be so mad. She thought that her offering was better than everyone else's and that because of her stature that she deserved to go before everyone else. Proving that she did not have a kind heart in giving in the first place, she purely did it for recognition and praise.
Line 154: "An housbonde wol I have, I wol not lette, Which shall be both my dettour and my thral, And have his tribulacioun withal Upon his flessh whil that I am his wif. 'I have the power duringe all my lif Upon his propre body, and noght he.'"
Here she is saying that she will be satisfied no matter what, but as for her husband she owns him as if he were her property. She clearly states that he has the power over his body and he does not."
Line 175: "This is to saye, myself have been the whippe-"
The note along side explains this as meaning "pain-giver." It seems as though she is taking pride in causing her husbands misery.
Line 198: "Unnethe mighte they the statut holde In which that they were bounden unto me. Ye woot well what I meene of this, pardee."
Here she says that her husband will keep up with her sexual desires. There is nothing really wrong with feeling this way, but the way she makes it sound like she doesn't care about their needs and how she tells this to a group of men is kind of disgusting and low.
Line 204: "They had me viyen hir lond and hir tresoor, Me neded not do lenger diligence To winne hir love or doon hem reverence. They loved me so well, by God above, That I ne tolde no deyntee of hir love."
Here she says that her husbands had given her all their money and property therefore she didn't care that they loved her very much.
Line 211: "But sith I hadde hem hoolly in mine hond, And sith they hadde yiven me all hir lond, What sholde I take kepe hem for to plese But it were for my profit and mine ese?"
Here she bluntly states that she controlled them and had everything she wanted so why should she even try to be good to them since there was nothing else for her to get out of it.
Line 219: "I governed hem so well, after my lawe, That ech of hem ful blisful was and fawe To bringe me gay thinges fro the faire. They were ful glad whan I spak to hem faire, For, God it woot, I chidde hem spitously."
Here she says that she had them so wrapped around her finger that they brought her gifts and this would actually be nice for a change. This clearly was an abusive relationship if her husbands were so relieved for her to be nice.
Line 228: "For hath so boldely kan there no man Swere and lyen as a womman kan. I sey not this by wives that been wise, But if it be whan they hem misavise. A wis wif, if that she kan her good, Shall beren him on hond the cow is wood. And take witnesse of her owene maide Of her assent."
Here she says that women lie and wise wife would be so smart to lie herself. She says that this intelligent wife would be able to convince her husband to believe her over the gossip. And this sort of wife would even know to have someone validate her alibi. Which clearly means that she as well as other wives cheat and lie about it, and should know how to lie in a way that keeps their husbands believing that they can do no wrong.
Overall from all these lines I feel there is no way around thinking the wife is good. I originally felt sorry for her being looked down upon but now I agree that she was just not a nice person. She did not care about anyone but herself, she hurt others to get what she wanted, she openly discussed her desire for sex to strangers, she wants to own her husbands not be equal with them, and she wants to teach other women how to get out of being caught cheating. From what I've seen in just these few lines I don't see how anyone could convince me to go back to original beliefs about her.

No comments: